Friday, February 20, 2015

Light at the End of the Tunnel

And this past week has been a tunnel, my friends. A long and dark one, like the ones that we're supposed to travel down when we die.

Last Monday started out with a bang. Bedbugs. Everywhere. Our neighbors had an infestation and my roommate and I were forced to pack up our belongings and evacuate the room for 24 hours. After that, it seemed like both our lives seeped through our fingers like water, our cupped hands outstretched trying to catch at least a drop of happiness.

But this past week, our hands were dry.

The room after about two hours of cleaning. 


Everything that could go wrong, did. We were behind on everything that week. We skipped classes and work. Panic was rampant. We constantly encouraged each other, but each night as we laid on the floor in a room covered in a layer of white, powdery chemical residue, we knew we were slipping, and something was going to change.

And it did.

I cannot speak fully for my roommate, but I had a wonderful weekend. The light at the end of the tunnel, you could say.

-I helped successfully plan and execute a surprise birthday party for a sweet friend
-I finally got the right poster board for my art class.
-The chemical residue is gone from the room. My roommate and I are snoozing easily in our own beds.
-I went on a date on Valentine's Day. No, we're not a couple. And it's only been the third that I've ever been on. (My first was Valentine's last year. Go figure, right?) Dates make me nervous, and this one went pretty well.
-Got my laundry done. A bit overdue, but now I have clean clothes! YES.
-Friends. Just all the friends I got to see this weekend. They brought comfort to my soul.

I don't know what tomorrow brings. This could be another hard week. But I'm thankful for the good memories I was given, and the friends and family that God has blessed me with.

It's not champagne I swear.





No comments:

Post a Comment