Friday, October 31, 2014

The Baylor Spirit (Reflections From a Year Later)

That Good Old Baylor Line,
That Good Old Baylor Line. 


We'll march forever down the years

As long as stars shall shine  

        (Woosh!*)

We'll fling our green and gold afar
To light the ways of time.

And guide us as we onward go.
That Good Old Baylor Line


Homecoming week is huge here at Baylor University.

The entire campus is draped in green and gold during this jam-packed week as the university opens its arms to Bears old, current, and future.

Thursday night's tradition is something called Freshman Mass Meeting. And I just so happen to be watching it unfold right now as I blog from the second story of Moody library, gearing up to write my 8 page paper due the next morning.

I can't see them too closely from here, but the Class of 2018 is wearing their Line Jerseys, leaving Waco Hall's auditorium and walking down a path lined with candle-filled paper bags, the path that I walked to get to the library, except the candles will be lit, casting an ethereal glow for the short walk. Their own candles clutched solemnly in hand, they trek past the statue of The Immortal Ten, who are heroes here at Baylor.

I'm watching the small pinpricks of light flood into the field of Fountain Mall, arranging themselves in front of the stage that was set up there this afternoon where they will begin stacking wooden crates for the bonfire to happen tomorrow night. The green lights atop Pat Neff's tower wash the area in a familiar gleam.




Because Baylor is home. Not only is it a new home to these freshmen, it's a home to all who live here, work here, and ultimately some return here.

Tonight, more Baylor Bears join our legacy. Tonight they learn what it really means to be of Baylor. They are passed the torch to fling their own green and gold afar. They've been here for a couple of months now, but tonight is almost like an initiation of sorts.

I see more candles flooding the field. Each candle is held by a person with a different story. They all have different backgrounds, different lives, different interests, different wants, dreams, hopes, and futures, but they've all come together tonight in the spirit of Baylor to join their stories together under the banner of green and gold and the legacy of the Bears that have come before them.



Dang. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. I'm a little jealous, really. But I'm glad I'm getting to watch them experience what I did last year. They're in for a wild ride here, but if they hang on tight, it'll be the best, most breathtaking ride they've ever ridden.

Me (far left) only a year ago.

I thank God every day for giving me the opportunity to come to Baylor University. And frankly, I don't see myself anywhere else than with my beloved fellow Bears.


None of the pictures are my own. Credits go to where they're due.

*The addition of the word "Woosh" is something that the Golden Wave Marching Band (or "BUGWB") does. It's one of our many traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment